Videnskab | Nyhed 19/06
Ugeskr Læger 2016;178:V09150718
Bunk rails and children can be a dangerous cocktail
We present a case with a two-year-old girl, who accidentally got caught between a mattress and a metal rod used as rail of an upper bunk and almost got suffocated. To rule out child abuse and to clarify the sequence of events, the incident was reported to the police. The police investigation and the forensic examination confirmed the incident as reported by the parents and the police closed the case. With this case story, we want to warn against the use of rails, with a distance between mattress and rail allowing the body of a small child to slip under and trap a proportionally bigger head.