Dato15. maj 2017
Ugeskr Læger 2017;179:V01170004
Favism after ingestion of fava beans in a three-year-old child with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
A three-year-old Syrian boy was hospitalized with symptoms of acute haemolytic anaemia after ingestion of fava beans. He was stabilized by blood transfusion, and genetic examination revealed glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency. Oxidative stress, e.g. ingestion of fava beans, can induce acute haemolytic anaemia in affected individuals. Approximately 400 million people worldwide suffer from G6PD deficiency. The prevalence is high in African, Mediterranean and Middle East countries. Due to increased immigration, we might expect the condition to occur more often in Danish healthcare.