Ugeskr Læger 2016;178:V06160417
Acute carbon monoxide poisoning after water pipe tobacco smoking
Carbon monoxide poisoning is potentially lethal, and early recognition and treatment is essential. An 18-year-old man was admitted due to syncope and a carboxyhaemoglobin level of 17% after water pipe tobacco smoking. He received normo- and hyperbaric oxygen as treatment and was discharged after two days without neurological sequelae. This case is the first in Denmark, but recently seven similar cases have been reported. The number of young people smoking water pipe tobacco are increasing, and we fear that more cases like this will occur in the future.